Tuesday, July 8, 2014

A Fault in Our Stars by John Green Review



          Let me begin by saying I was a bit reluctant in reading this book.  I still remember the first book I read with ‘Cancer’ in it. I fell in love with it. So my main fear was that this book would be just another imitation about a teenager who has cancer and falls in love right before she dies. I was scared of reading something that would ultimately make me dislike and disinterested in reading my first book again. If you’re wondering what book it was here it is A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks.
          In the end I gave in partly because my younger brother was reading another one of John Green’s novels. He loved that book and I figured okay let’s give A Fault in Our Stars a try. The other reason was that everywhere I went I saw the book with its original cover or the book and movie tie-in.  So I got my own copy and read it. All of these preconceived notions that had formed in my mind became irrelevant.
        This book wasn't and will never be just another book about a teenager with cancer who falls in love and dies. Like Nicholas Sparks A Walk to Remember, John Green’s   A Fault in Our Stars spoke of more than just that teenager love and illness and death. This novel brought to life an idea that still inhabits many people. It’s this need that we all have to be remembered to leave a mark in this world. Yes, it is done through the eyes of a sick teenager, but that in itself shows you how much this idea can become so important.  Even though Hazel wasn't the one that wanted to be remember because she truly grasp that she would be remember. She knew Augustus need to be remembered was impossible, but her purpose was to show him that he would be remembered. He would live on in the people that loved him.
        Both of these books had in common something other than cancer. They serve to show how much of an impression on person can leave in another’s life.  I’m not sure how many of you read this book already but Hazel has a line in it that will stay with me forever
                “…..You gave me a forever within the numbered days and I'm grateful” (pg. 259-260)

      One meeting was enough to touch her and leave her with a mark. We all seek that forever, but we forget that we really don’t know how long we have. You have to grasp what you have and enjoy it. That’s you’re forever.  I’m not sure how many of you read this book or how many of you will read it because of this review.  All I can say is that it’s important for young and old to read it because it teaches not to lose sight of what’s important, to make the now important. 

No comments:

Post a Comment